In early April, a bomb was detonated in a subway train in St. Petersburg, resulting in fifteen deaths and scores of injuries. In the wake of the tragedy, world leaders offered their sympathies.
Thorbjorn Jagland, the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, expressed condolences to the Russian people over the deadly explosion in a St. Petersburg subway train on April 3, 2017.
“I am shocked and saddened by the news of the deadly blasts in St. Petersburg. I extend my sincere condolences to our member-state Russia,” Secretary General Jagland wrote on his Twitter page.
Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders offered condolences to the families of the victims. “I express my condolences to the families of the victims and I think of all the wounded in the explosion in St. Petersburg,” he wrote on Twitter.
Foreign ministers of 28 E.U. member-states at the meeting of the Council of the European Union were following the news, E.U.’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said. “Following the news coming from St. Petersburg, together with all E.U. foreign ministers. Our thoughts are with all people of Russia,” she wrote on her Twitter page.
The President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) Pedro Agramunt also said on Twitter, “Devastated by the news from St. Petersburg, even more so as I was there last week. Terrible tragedy. My thoughts are with the victims and those injured.”
German government spokesman Steffen Seibert wrote on Twitter, “We are receiving terrible news from St. Petersburg. We express condolences to all the victims and their families.”
British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson also expressed condolences to the families of the victims. “Horrified by the news of the explosion in St. Petersburg. My sympathies are with the victims and their families,” he wrote on Twitter.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said on Twitter, “Deepest sympathy to those affected by the St. Petersburg metro explosion, their loved ones, and the Russian people.”
The Secretary General of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Lamberto Zannier also offered condolences over the blast, “Horrific news about the explosions in St. Petersburg metro. My deepest condolences to families of the victims.”
Estonian Prime Minister Juri Ratas also expressed deep regret over the blast. “My sincere condolences to the relatives of the dead, I wish the soonest recovery to the injured,” he wrote on his Facebook page.
The United States’ embassy in Russia conveyed its condolences to the families and friends of those killed in the St. Petersburg metro blast, the embassy’s spokesperson Maria Olson said.
“Shocked and saddened by explosions in St. Pete and the resulting deaths and injuries. Our hearts go out to victims and families,” she wrote on Twitter.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko expressed his condolences to the Russian leader Vladimir Putin over the blast in person.
“I also want to express my condolences to you and convey my condolences to the relatives [of those killed and injured in the metro blast], to St. Petersburg residents who are reacting very painfully and acutely to such events,” the Belarusian President said at the beginning of a meeting with the Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“No one will let us live calmly and therefore we must be ready for everything; there are a lot of challenges in today’s world and we are not living in an isolated world. We understand this together with you, as it is not the first year that we have been working in these posts,” President Lukashenko said.